Monday, June 6, 2011

Easy (& Cheap) Beadboard Frames

I finally got around to finishing these frames to hang from my Old Window.  They were really easy and turned out just how I had envisioned them.

Interested in making your own?  Here is a quick tutorial:

Cut your beadboard into squares.  I used 6" squares.
Paint them your desired color.  I did need to use a few coats of paint.  Let dry.
Sand them down a bit and stain over them.
Cut some foam board into squares to mount your pictures.  My squares were 4".
Trim your pictures to the same size as your foam boards.

Now, here you have several options.  You could glue or Mod Podge your pictures to the foam boards, and then glue the foam squares to the beadboard.  However, I didn't want the pictures to be permanent because I knew in a few months I would want to change up the pictures.  So here is how I solved the problem:

Take the following supplies:

I punched a hole with my hole punch in each corner of the pictures.
Then, I placed the pictures over the foam squares and with a pencil marked the hole spot onto the foam.
Then I used my sharp pointed tool (a big needle would also work) to poke a hole through the foam board.
Center the foam square on the beadboard and mark the holes onto the beadboard.  Then using a drill gun, drill a small hole through the beadboard.
Take your hemp (it needs to be pretty thin to fit through the holes) and tie a knot in one end.  I actually tied two knots to thicken it up a little.  Then cut the hemp a few inches and thread through the holes.  (I used a big needle to pull the hemp through).
You will need 4 knotted hemp pieces per picture.
Once I had the hemp threaded through, I simply taped them down on the back side.  Now if I want to change the picture, I just simply pull out the knot and insert a new picture.
Lastly, add some ribbon or twill tape to the back and you are done!
Hopefully that all made sense.
Pretty easy, and pretty cheap considering I just used supplies I had on stock.  Don't you love those kind of projects!

4 comments:

  1. How beautiful! I love the color and how simple they are to make...I'll be giving these a try for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute Idea! I really love your chicken wire frame with the knobs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute!!! I love the chicken wire frame above and that the frames are yellow! I need these!! We found your blog through TT&J and are your newest followers! We would love for you to follow us and check out our blog. We have an awesome giveaway going on right now!

    www.sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am your newest follower! I found you through "sisters stuff" I am in love with your blog! I would love it if you stopped by and checked my blog out, if you like what you see...I'd love it if you became my newest follower!

    ReplyDelete