Friday, June 17, 2011

Father's Day Fudge

When I was dating my husband, he told me he didn't really like chocolate.  Then I made fudge once, and I think he ate about the whole pan.  I guess what he meant was that he only likes GOOD chocolate.  Luckily for him, this fudge recipe is DELICIOUS!

So I usually make fudge at least twice a year--at Christmas, and for Father's Day.  Here is the recipe if you are interested in whipping some up for your husband or father this Father's Day (or if you just want it for yourself!)
Fudge:

4 1/2 c. sugar
1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
20 large marshmallows (10 mini marshmallows = 1 large)

Place those ingredients in a large and heavy pan (I use my good roasting pan).   Cook to a boil, stirring constantly until it reaches 238 degrees F on candy thermometer.**  Cook on medium heat and be careful that it doesn't boil over, because that is messy.

Once at 238 degrees, take off heat.  Add:
2 c. (or 12 oz) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
2 sticks margarine
vanilla (about a tsp or 2)

Mix with electric mixer until it starts to thicken up.  This takes anywhere from about 5-15 minutes.  You know it is thick enough because when you lift up your beaters, it doesn't drip down and it looks a lot thicker.  Once it is thickened, pour into a greased 9x13 pan.  It will set up more as it cools.  You can also keep it in your fridge to keep it nice and firm.

**When I lived in Washington at sea level, I cooked it to about 250 degrees in order for it to set up enough.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment