Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Ooey, Gooey Traditions

Ever since I can remember, fireworks have meant Carmel Popcorn--the good and gooey kind.  So of course, when we started watching fireworks with my own kids and family, the tradition had to be carried forward!
We were a little worried we wouldn't be having fireworks where we live on the 4th because there is a big fire ban where we live.  When I told my 3-year old there might not be fireworks, her response was "Well, we will just have to eat carmel popcorn at home."  Luckily the city still put on their annual firework show, and we got to enjoy our little treat.

My mom has always said, "The secret to being a good cook is collecting good recipes."  Well this is one of those good recipes.  It is easy, but SO delicious!  It can be used as an ice cream topping too!

Carmel Topping/Popcorn:

1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 c. Brown Sugar
1 cube Margarine
1 C. Corn Syrup
*For topping, barely bring to a boil.
**For popcorn, cook to 224 degrees on candy thermometer.  Pour over 2 batches (1 c. dry) air-popped popcorn. --Depending on how sticky and gooey you want it, you can use more popcorn.  I usually do!
***Also, I usually do not want to make a full batch of the popcorn because it makes a lot.  So I cook mine just until the butter is melted and everything is mixed together--and at a barely boil stage.  Then I pour some into a jar to store into the fridge.  Then I continue to cook the remaining carmel over medium heat until it reaches the 224 degrees.  The carmel stored in the fridge stays good for quite a long time and can be used for ice cream topping or heated up to the 224 degrees to make popcorn at a later time.
ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. I am a new follower and I found you on Made By you mondays!
    This looks so good! I am currently dieting (But it is supposed to be e lifestyle blah blah blah) I am saving this recipe for my next cheat day! Yummy!
    I would love a follow back if you have time! Come see me at www.cookieandclaire.blogspot.com
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete