Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Easy Baby Blanket Binding

Okay--here is a non-Valentine post.  I made a quick receiving blanket the other day for my son's Kindergarten teacher.  I remembered seeing a blanket edge sewn this way, and decided to try it for myself.  It was super easy--by far the easiest way I have finished off a blanket!
(sorry for the poor quality pictures.  I was in a hurry & so you get bad lighting and iphone pics)
 Here are the steps I took:
1--Cut two pieces of FLANNEL fabric the same size.  I find it easiest to cut the two at the same time.
2--Put right-sides together.  PIN.  Sew using a 1/4" seam allowance around the blanket.  In the middle of one side,  leave about a six inch section unsewn.
3--Through the section not sewn, TURN the blanket right-side out.
4--TOPSTITCH around the blanket, using about 1/8" seam allowance.  This will secure down the section that was previously not sewn.
5--STITCH around again using a bigger seam allowance--either 1/2" or 3/4".
6--STITCH around a 3rd & 4th time in a wavy pattern, so that your lines cross each other.  Don't worry if the lines aren't even, perfect, or exact.  It adds CHARACTER!  I think it is so cute!
Doesn't it make you want to have a little baby to wrap up nice and tight!

No comments:

Post a Comment